Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Dextromethorphan is used to relieve your pet's cough.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- This medication may be given with food.
- If the medicine is a liquid, measure the dose with reasonable care.
- Try to give this medication at about the same time(s) each day.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed.
- DO NOT give the medicine more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
What do I do if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places. The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
What are the potential side effects?
- Your pet may experience some stomach upset and drowsiness.
- If your pet appears to be extremely confused, nervous, irritable or excited, contact your veterinarian.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian if you are giving your pet any other medication or supplements.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may be anticipated. If this occurs, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- CNS depressants can potentially interact with dextromethorphan.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
This client information sheet is based on material written by:
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.